At a period where sales are plunging rapidly and stores are shutting down globally, the question most of us ask is: how do you create an epidemic-proof brand that can weather through the most challenging times of the decade? Surely, we are all excited to learn from brands that managed to grow their business in spite of the current situation.
So in today’s episode, Kunle interviews the founder of a direct-to-consumer brand creating an entirely new sports game called Crossnet that is rapidly growing at a 4X Year-on-Year rate despite the current slowdown in retail. You don’t want to miss this one so do stay tuned!
Crossnet is volleyball reimagined – so instead of the typical two-sided court setup of volleyball, Crossnet is a four-square volleyball game that can be set up on sand, grass, or indoors.
Their growth rates are impressive:
2017 set up and prototyping
2018 – $75k
2019 – $2.5m
2020 – $8-10m (estimated)
- What is Crossnet
- How the idea for Crossnet was born
- The Crossnet Story
- Leveraging Facebook Advertising
- Email Marketing
Podcast Show Notes:
- 01:52 – Figure out how the eCommerce industry is affected by the COVID-19 pandemic through Klaviyo’s COVID-19 Daily Pulse Update. Check out Klaviyo
- 03:48 – Who is Chris Meade and what is Crossnet?
- 06:09 – How did you come up with Crossnet?
- 07:52 – How did you move that idea into reality?
- Created prototypes in 2017
- Looked for a manufacturer – Alibaba
- Began selling in 2018
- 10:18 – What were things like in 2018?
- $74,000 in revenue
- Doubled down on capital
- Actual demo on the beach through playing
- 13:50 – What was your strategy in 2019?
- $2.25 million in revenues
- Leveraged on organic user-generated content
- Social proof – customer reviews
- Incentive Programs for users to submit video of themselves playing
- 16:14 – How long did you run the video ads?
- 16:50 – Marketing Strategy
- Facebook ads
- Facebook Ad Spent: $200 – $5,000
- Email Marketing – target site visitors
- 18:11 – Get the easiest way to backup your Shopify or BigCommerce store and undo unwanted changes with Rewind.io… Mention you heard about them at 2x eCommerce Podcast and get a ONE MONTH FREE TRIAL
- 20:18 – Managing content to match target demographics
Determine your target market – Who is actually making the purchase?
- Create content for your target market.
- Influencer Marketing
- 21:43 – 2020
- $8-10 million in estimated revenue
- 22:12 – How has retail distribution changed the business
- Increased brand awareness
- 23:47 – What is your vision of Crossnet?
- Used in gym classes to teach volleyball – Physical Education
- Leisure play
- 26:04 – 2020 Projections
- 70% Website Sales
- 30% Retail Sales
- 26:55 – Facebook Advertising
- 29:39 – Where can you attribute the success of your Facebook Advertising?
- Stronger Creative
- High-quality content
- Good Customer Feedback
- Brand Recall
- 32:35 – Other Acquisition Channels
- 36:48 – Lightning Round
- How do you hire people? – “I identify from weaknesses.”
- What are your tools for managing Crossnet? – Facetime, Skype, Google Drive
- What has been your best mistake to date? – “Influencer marketing is not for us.”
- If you are to look at yourself five years ago, what advice would you give? – “Stay patient. Be a little bit more patient. Things will all work out and life changes really quickly so be prepared for it.”
- Are you a morning person? – “No. I’m trying to be good at it.”
- What two things you can’t live without? – Gym, laptop.
- What book are you reading? – Double Your Profits by Robert Fifer, Wolf on Wall Street by Jordan Belfort
- 46:20 – Join the 2xEcommerce Facebook Group
- To be successful at Facebook advertising, you must first be able to determine who your target market is. Who are the people who are actually making the purchase? With that, you can tailor-fit the content of your ads.
- Invest in organic traffic and leverage on user-generated content as your social proof.
- Design an email marketing campaign funnel that captures the different profiles of your major consumers.
Stay patient. Be a little bit more patient. Things will all work out and life changes really quickly so be prepared for it.
Facebook Group • Continue the Conversation
The eCommerce GrowthAccelerator Mastermind Facebook Group has just launched.
It is a community…
✔️ for founders and experts passionately involved in eCommerce
✔️ for the truly ambitious wanting to make an impact in the markets they serve
✔️ for those willing and open to help and share with other members
Here is where to apply to join the Facebook group
This episode is brought to you by:
This episode is brought to you by Klaviyo – a growth marketing platform that powers over 25,000 online businesses.
Direct-to-Consumer brands like ColourPop, Huckberry, and Custom Ink rely on Klaviyo.
Klaviyo helps you own customer experience and grow high-value customer relationships right from a shopper’s first impression through to each subsequent purchase, Klaviyo understands every single customer interaction, and empowers brands to create more personalized marketing moments.
Find out more on klaviyo.com/2x.
This episode is brought to you by Rewind – the #1 Backup and Recovery App for Shopify and BigCommerce stores that powers over 25,000 online businesses.
Direct-to-Consumer brands like Gymshark and Movement Watches rely on Rewind.
Cloud based ecommerce platforms like Shopify and BigCommerce do not have automatic backup features. Rewind protects your store against human error, misbehaving apps, or collaborators gone bad with Automatic backups!
For a free 30-day trial, Go to Rewind.io,
reach out to the Rewind team via chat or email and mention ‘2x ecommerce’